Saturday 3 October 2009

Wonderful details of the treasure hunt

Hi Nikki.

I made the treasure map out of an over-sized yellow envelope (I'd say 11x14). Since it was darker in color, it already had a yellowed aged look about it. I used a thin permanent marker and free hand the area. A pool was located in the backyard so I drew waves representing the pool and upside down 'V's' to represent the mountains. Where the treasure map was buried, I drew a skull and cross-bones, then drew arrows representing the path that had to be taken to get to the X that marks the spot for the treasure. I had made a cup of hot tea and left the tea bag in the cup. Once the tea cooled, I used the tea bag to blot the treasure map and created a molted brown look. Because the teabag made the map wet, I let it dry overnight and it was fairly stiff. I then put the map over the stove burner to create burn spots. This was perfect because it made the map heavy enough to bury and strong enough for hand to pull it open excitedly without ripping it.

I created a treasure chest by purchasing a disposable ice cooler at a local dollar store. We bought brown paint and painted the cooler (the Styrofoam began to melt the cooler temporarily and it actually worked well since it looked very aged). I purchased 6 individual treasure chests (assuming no more than 6 kids to a team) and put in only two filled treasure chests at the bottom of the cooler with marbles, fake jewels, chocolate coins and coin bubble gum on top of the individual treasure chests). I kept the remaining treasure chests aside to present one to each team member that won.

Whatever team won, we brought all the teams over so they could see the opening of the treasure and share the booty with the other teams. I had also prepared a individual bag of goodies for all participants that included a mardi gras type beaded necklace, chocolate coins, gums and since the Pirates of the Caribbean is still a hot item I located bags of M&Ms that had pirate stuff on them. For the winning teams they not only got their own filled treasure chest but I was able to locate an inexpensive prize for them.

How we conducted the hunt was the train schedule was pinned to a tall hedge (I used clothes pins and wanted them all at one location so the kids did not have to scramble around looking for them as well as locating the stations).

I made up instructions and clues for each team member using colored paper that represented each team (blue paper for blue team, pink paper for red team, yellow for yellow, etc). For the clues I purchased an inexpensive laminator and laminated the uncut clues as well as made an uncut clue in the same color. I then cut the laminated clues into 6 pieces (I gave two pieces of the puzzle to each task master as they could easily determine what team did not do a task and each task master was responsible for 2 tasks). I thought this would be easy for smaller hands to hold and put together than paper pieces that they would loose, crumble or possibly tear. The laminated pieces were for the kids to put the clues together, but once their clues were actually put together they were given the paper clue that was not cut so they could run around with it and find the treasure map.

The teams were decided by whatever strip of paper they pulled from a hat. I cut up a certain number of strips of paper for each colored team. Based upon number the total number of kids that participated I had 4 teams and some teams had 3 kids and others had 4. Each team was given a set of instructions printed on colored paper that represented their team color. Each team was given a pencil. Not only did they get a chance to read their instructions, I announced the instructions. I explained that team work will come into play and they should consider having one person designated for different things (as the game wore on, they figured out that it was easy for one person to be responsible for writing down the combination, one person for holding the clues).

The teams were told that they must follow the schedule, they must complete each task, they will be given a piece of the clue, but before they could work on their puzzle, they needed to see the see the Gate Keeper to give the code. If the code was not correct they were not allowed work on their puzzle and they must go back to the schedule and see where they went wrong.

Once the first team successfully got all the pieces, provided the correct combination code that team then could put their laminated pieces together. Once the laminated pieces were put together, I then gave that team a whole uncut copy so they could run around and look for the treasure map. Once that team found the map all other teams were told that the map was found.

Once the actual treasure was found, all the teams were invited to watch the winning team open their treasure. The winning team was congratulated and advised that winners should share their booty with the others.

I had made enough little loot bags for each participating member so that each person would have consolation prize (can you image not having a prize for each child because I knew they would make me walk the plank!).

All the parents that stayed and watch were amazed and impressed.

It definitely took longer than a half hour and you need bodies to help make it run smoothly.

I think it went off well for the first time. I had family member and friends saying they wanted to have their own scavenger hunt.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for holding my hand and walking me through this step by step.

Angel Epps, California USA

More details on a great Treasure Hunt Party Game here

No comments: