Wednesday 15 August 2007

Family camping trip and treasure hunt

I had no problems downloading 'the treasure!' And I'd be glad to share my plans, as well as a final review, after the event. I'm currently printing out the rest of the document (of course, I ran out of paper this week, so it is a staged process!) and starting to plan my hunt, using your ideas and theme to construct this year's treasure hunt event.

Here's the story -- a tale of two families. Rachel and I were neighbors while our children were young (we each had 4 kids). Although our families are mostly grown up now, we are still best of friends, as are our children that were essentially raised together. Once a year, we ALL go on a 4 day tent camping trip together. This has become a gathering of 30 people.

Adults, young adults, teenagers, elementary children, and now a couple of toddlers! Every few years when my kids were young, I'd do neighborhood treasure hunts or scavenger hunts for their birthday parties. Then, for the kids on our annual camping trip I'd do some sort of hunt.

Last year, no hunt. I ran out of ideas. It turned out, the kids were disappointed. So I started searching the web and libraries early this year for ideas to beg, borrow, steal, or buy! And I found you!

* This year, Fr. Hennepin State Park, Isle, MN.

* Every year, we assign a new committee of 2 to decide

* where next years camping trip will be.

* We are Minnesotans, so it is always in MN, WI.

* July 20 - 24. The actual hunt will depend on the weather

* and scouting out the campground locations that I can use.

2 - 62 age range. But, while I debated on whether it would be better to set up separate hunts for elementary, teen, adults -- or maybe build the teams with members of each age group; whatever I do, I need to take the teen's

competitiveness into account. THEY WANT TO WIN!

* This year, I'm going to go with your Pirate theme.

* I appreciate very much that you offered to help with questions.

* But, your ideas that you published will keep me going

* for awhile yet.

* However, if I get a brainstorm wonderful idea,

* I'll let you know.

* Thanks, again!

Eileen Blackwood, Minnesota USA

More details on a great Treasure Hunt Party Game here

No comments: