Saturday 18 July 2009

Pirate treasure hunt ideas for Quilter's group

Hi Nikki,

Your planner is great! On Thursday of this week is the annual picnic for my Quilt Guild. I had been in charge of our picnic for 4 out of the last 6 years and this year, nothing was said about it so I really didn't think about it. When the Guild asked me what I was going to do for the picnic this year, I was kinda on the spot and didn't want to say that I wasn't doing anything, so on a whim I said "we are going to have a pirate theme this year with a treasure hunt", not having one clue how to pull this off. That was in early June.

I started searching for anything that could help me with this. We have a range of ages from mid 20's to late 60's and wanted something to accomodate all. I came up with the idea to make up invitations using scrapbooking paper with a map printed on it and rolled it up and put it in an empty glass bottle with a cork. (they went over well!). On the invitation, I put that costumes were optional, and I have a prize for the best dressed. A few have told me they will be in costume. I found wooden treasure chests that I stained and I'm using little ones for the favors and a big one is going to have the prize in it. I found a pattern to make sails to fit on a picnic table in one of my children's party books, so I made up one of those to put on the food table. So I had somethings started, but had no clue on how to do an actual treasure hunt.

I searched the book stores in my area, and found nothing. I even asked the clerks if they had any idea if there was a book out there that could help me with this. Aparently there are several on scavenger hunts, but nothing for a treasure hunt. I was getting pretty desperate, so I googled it. Your site came up on the third attempt and when I found it, I thought that I hit the jackpot!. I was not wrong. I have read the entire book and have started to make my plans. I will let you know how things go after Thursday.

Sincerely,

Johanna Ramsden, Pennsylvania, USA

More details on a great Pirate Treasure Hunt here

No comments: