Tuesday 21 July 2009

Sweet 16 pirate party

Hi, Nikki.

It's nice of you to take an interest!! I think I have the basics figured out.

The party is for my daughter's sweet 16 to be held Aug 11. We are having it in our backyard. We have a pool so we are decorating "piratey" and kind of luau too, but the enphasis is definitely on the pirate. I'm not quite sure about how many will be here, but most likely 50-60, with maybe 35-40 participating in the team challenges and treasure hunt. The hunt will take place primarily in the wooded area behind our house (it is perfect...there are many beautiful trails that my husband has put in and there is a great creek that runs the whole length of the woods) as well as throughout the neighborhood...there are a couple of cul-de-sacs with little "islands" in the middle that are perfect for some of the challenges, and the layout is safe for the kids to go off througout the development.

I am going to buy fabric in 6 different colors and cut it into strips, giving each team member a piece to tie on their heads or waists. I have ordered 6 "Pirate captain" hats so that each team can choose a captain.

I like the names that you have in your game plan, but I am trying to incorporate some "Hawaian" themed team names and "ports". For example, I think I will change "Pirate Beach" to "Pineapple Beach". I am using the 15 beach item challenge, the coconut roll, the stepping stones, the walk the plank, the four coins, and one of my own...They have to join hands around this particular tree out in the woods and sing the chorus of "It's a Small World" 3 times in their best Pirate Voice...and one of the team members must record it either on a camcorder provided or on a cell phone

That will be the main hunt...ending with the clue leading to a wishing well located in an old garden behind the kids clubhouse. In the wishing well will be 4 treasure maps and 4 shovels. The clue is...Enter the garden of old to find the last clue. Make a wish, take a map and a tool to help you. (Not too original, but thanks for the help...!!) The map will lead directly to an area that will have 4 treasure trunks buried. In the trunks will be plastic gold coins for the team members to divide up.

The party will also have music and dancing...there is a DJ throughout the day and night. And lots of food. And swimming. Some of the kids (girls and cousins) will be staying over, sleeping out in the clubhouse and in tents. We will also be having an outdoor movie late at night. (Pirates of the Carribean of course.) And that's pretty much it.

SO....thanks...I LOVE your input. And thank you for your game pack. It really was a Godsend to get me started.

Candy Wheeler, New York, USA

More details on a great Pirate Treasure Hunt here

No comments: